* According to the Rocky Mountain News, it will take 600 years for nature to recover after the horrible Hayman fire of five years ago. Hey, in geological terms, 600 years really isn't that long.
* A message to my 20 month old little girl: I just read a entertainment story on a new movie called "Our Lady of Victory." Actress Carla Gugino plays Cathy Rush, former basketball coach of the girls team at Immaculata College. Rush's teams won three straight national championships.
Gugino admires the coach. The players "had been taught to be humble, that girls are the lesser sex. [Coach Rush] told them, 'Girls, it's OK to apply yourself, to believe in yourself, to play to win.'"
I admire the coach, too. That is a great message. I hope I teach it to you.
* Avril Lavigne has gone from punk chick to Toni Basil wannabe with her new song "Girlfriend."
* Their is plenty of reason to dislike United States Attorney General Alberto Gonzalez. Ignoring the Constitution is one of them. The whole stink over firing U.S. Attorneys, however, is not. U.S. Attorneys are purely political appointees. They serve at the pleasure of the President of the United States. If he is displeased, they no longer serve. This is why, when a new President is elected, U.S. Attorneys routinely submit their resignations. When another party takes over the Oval Office, a whole new group of U.S. Attorneys is appointed.
Criticize the fascist Gonzalez all you want. He deserves it. But pick a better reason.
* The wife and I saw Spider-Man 3 recently. It is an average movie. Director Sam Raimi tries to deal with too much in one film.
First, the movie involves some black goo from space that turns Peter Parker to the dark side. Second, it involves Peter's buddy Henry Osborn and his dark side, including the return of the Green Goblin. Then it deals with a new bad buy, Sandman. Then another bad guy, Venom, who gets covered in the black goo once Peter Parker sheds it.
Too much to deal with, none of it dealt with well.
* Shut up and look pretty. Rie Rasmussen, former Victoria Secret model and current actress, is quoted in a recent edition of Entertainment Weekly (#936, June 1, 2007). It would have been better for her if she hadn't been. Rie, who wants to be taken seriously, said "all we need is a bit of communication and a little bit of love. There's no better message. It's pertinent to today's political situation."
Yep, if we only understood better why al-Qaida wants to kill us, they'd be our friends. If we had only talked with Hitler and loved him more, World War II would have been averted.
When our body gets a malignant cancer, the only way to survive is to cut it out. All of it. Unfortunately, to get it all, the surgeon has to get some healthy tissue, too.
It's sad. It's unfortunate. It's the truth.